Thursday, December 21, 2006

Day 05: Seeing life from God's viewpoint

We are asked to identify a metaphor for our life. I think this is a valuable exercise and one that could be a real blessing to believers. It is so easy to 'sleep walk' through life in 'survival mode' that it sometimes takes real effort to stop and say "what is my life?" Mind-sets are curious things; they develop without us noticing but then have the power to shape us powerfully. There is a story told about Winston Churchill who when consulted as to the the architecture of a post-war-damage refurbished main debating chamber of the House of Commons said, "Be careful. We shape our building but thereafter they shape us." The House of Commons is based on confrontation with Government and Official Opposition. The two sides have a space between them that is wider than the length of two swords so that all confrontation must be with words and not arms. It produces, for better or worse, the confrontation politics of the British system of government.

I have worked on large projects which embraced a 'metaphor'; they can be liberating or confining. Sometimes people would not consider a different way of operating because it was 'outside the metaphor'. The metaphor becomes the foundation for all future planning. When metaphor becomes so fixed it can be more hindrance than help, but at this level the challenge "what is the most appropriate metaphor for my life" is bracing but helpful.

This chapter speaks of two such metaphors; the test and the trust. These are both helpful ways of examining our lives and are thoroughly biblical. This could make a good 'end of year' meditation. In what ways have I been tested this year and how have I faired? And then, what was trusted to my care this year and how do I stand as I am required to give an account of my stewardship? I am reminded of David's wise words... “O LORD our God, all this abundance that we have prepared to build You a house for Your holy name is from Your hand, and is all Your own. I know also, my God, that You test the heart...” (1Chr 29:16-17 NKJV)